Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Man Suffers Severe Burns in Georgia Attempting to Open Chips with a Lighter

An elderly man’s attempt to open a bag of chips with a lighter results in severe burns, emphasizing the importance of safety in everyday actions.

Georgia Man Burned Opening a Bag of Chips with a Lighter

In an unprecedented incident in Dalton, Georgia, a 75-year-old man suffered extensive third-degree burns after attempting to open a bag of chips using a lighter. The incident occurred on Wednesday afternoon, sending shockwaves through the local community.

Reports indicate that the elderly man, whose identity remains undisclosed, faced difficulties opening the bag of chips with his hands. In a risky move, he resorted to using a lighter, inadvertently setting himself ablaze while seated in a recliner at his residence.

Bruce Frazier, the communications director for the city of Dalton, confirmed the incident, stating, “The victim… was using a lighter to open bags of chips which he was unable to do with his hands. While doing this, the man accidentally set himself on fire while sitting in a recliner.”

The situation could have been fatal if not for the prompt action of maintenance workers who contained the fire using a hose before firefighters arrived at the scene. Firefighters, arriving within minutes, found the man and his recliner engulfed in flames.

The severity of the burns, estimated to cover approximately 75% of his body, necessitated immediate medical attention. The man was swiftly transported to a hospital in Chattanooga, Tennessee, before being transferred to a specialized burns center. As of the latest update, his condition remains undisclosed.

Interestingly, inquiries are ongoing regarding whether the chips themselves contributed to the ignition or if external factors were involved in sparking the fire. A 2022 study from the University of Greenwich highlighted that certain chips, owing to their high carbohydrate and oil content, possess flammable properties.

This unprecedented event serves as a stark reminder of the potential risks associated with attempting unorthodox methods for mundane tasks. Dalton, a city in northwest Georgia, is left in shock following this unfortunate incident, which occurred roughly 90 miles northeast of Atlanta.

Local authorities are urging caution and emphasizing the importance of adhering to safety protocols, even in seemingly routine activities, as investigations into the incident continue.

Image by macrovector on Freepik

Hi…Just have a look at this also!

Man Suffers Severe Burns in Georgia Attempting to Open Chips with a Lighter
Share it to your friends